Augusta’s Flood History Sparks Precaution
With Augusta’s long history of downtown and surrounding areas becoming flooded due to a rise in water from the Savannah River, it’s no secret that flooding is a threat to many homes and commercial businesses in Augusta. At SERVPRO, we aim to help educate the public about steps, tips, and offer post-storm/flood damage restoration help.
Tips for Mitigating Potential Losses Before a Flood Occurs
With Augusta’s vulnerability to flooding, it’s important to know there are a few effective ways to limit your home and businesses risk to flood and storms. The following is a brief list of measures you can take before flooding occurs to mitigate potential losses:
- Find out what your property insurance policy covers and if it does not cover flood damage, buy additional flood insurance
- Keep valuables and insurance policies in a bank safe deposit box or at a secured storage site away from your residence
- Locate electric panels, furnaces, water heaters, and other appliances in higher parts of your home that are unlikely to be flooded
- Move expensive rugs, furniture, and other valuable items to higher floors of your house
- Place sandbags around the perimeter of your property to divert floodwaters away from it
- Watch weather forecasts, know essential storm-related terminology, and have all your preparations completed before storms arrive
In each of these ways, you can often safeguard your property and gain some peace of mind in the face of potential flood-related disasters.
After floodwaters recede, it is important that you:
- Not return home until authorities say it is safe
- Contact a reputable flood damage cleanup & repair service as soon as possible
- Stay out of rooms with weakened floors or sagging ceilings
- Refrain from drinking your home’s tap water
At SERVPRO of Augusta South / Burke & Wilkes Counties, we care about protecting your property, and assure you and your family, we are always Here to Help.® Call us anytime, 24/7 - 365 at 706-843-1990.