Fall Fire Prevention
With cooler weather making its way through the October months, cooler weather means time to break away from the Southern heat and to enjoy time outside. Warming up next to a bonfire, cranking up your space heaters, and grilling out for friends and family while enjoying a college football game are all ways, we celebrate cooler weather. However, with fun comes the ever-present responsibility of making sure your fun weekend plans don’t turn into a SERVPRO® disaster.
To prevent a disaster, follow a few of these Bonfire Prevention Tips:
- Do not host a bonfire on windy days. Debris from the bonfire could escape the safety barrel and spark an untended fire.
- Keep a water hose or a bucket of water close by to quickly extinguish flames.
- Always tend to the bonfire while burning.
- When extinguishing your bonfire, first drown in water. Then, ensure that all embers are covered with water so they cannot reignite.
Space Heater Fire Prevention
Space heaters are great for smaller spaces or to add extra warmth to a room. Although, in many instances space heaters can become overused or used improperly and lead to potential house fires, over a thousand house fires a year are caused by space heater malfunction. To help prevent space heater related house fires this Fall, follow a few SERVPRO® Pro-tips:
- Never leave your space heater unattended. Electrical power strips can malfunction or draw too much power can easily spark a flame.
- Keep the space heater in the center of the space, or at least a few feet away from flammable objects.
- Place your space heater on a solid surface to avoid tipping risk.
Grilling Out, Not Burning Out
Cranking up the grill for a Saturday afternoon college football game is often a Southern tradition. Friends pile in the living room to watch the big screen, drinks are cheered on the back deck, the grill is rolling with burgers and hot dogs, kids run around and play with the dog – All fun, but all distractions. This Fall, be sure to enjoy your time in the cool weather but remember grill safety.
Here are a few SERVPRO® Tips to Aid in Preventing Grill Fires:
- Keep your grill a safe distance away from your house, at more than 10 feet.
- Keep decorations that could easily become a hazard away from your grilling zone.
- Have a working, inspected fire extinguisher on-hand.
- After turning off your grill, be sure to not leave unattended and close the grill lid to help cut oxygen flow to any potential flames.
If you experience an unfortunate house fire, please call our office for help at 706-843-1990.